Hunger strike - International guidelines and medical management
Test lesson 3
1. In this lesson we considered two declarations that The World Medical Association (WMA) has issued. Which one deals specifically with hunger strikes?
2. What should a doctor do if the prison director decides to force-feed hunger striker when there is no immediate medical need to intervene?
The doctor should under all circumstances respect the right of the individual to determine what is done to his or her body.
The doctor should, in all circumstances, comply with the international guidelines.
They should in such cases be able to appeal to their national associations or directly to the World Medical Association for guidance and support.
3. What clinical signs occur between 35 – 42 days.
Sensation of cold
Standing up may become difficult to impossible
Concentration becomes difficult or impossible
General sensation of weakness
The striker suffers from dizziness and
"Lightheadedness" or inversely "mental sluggishness"
4. When are the glycogen reserves used up?
4 - 6 days
7 - 9 days
10 - 14 days
15 - 19 days
5. How to distinguish between suicide and hunger strike?
A hunger striker is willing to die but does not want to
A hunger striker is often depressed
A hunger striker believes that outside society will not tolerate their death
A hunger striker does want to die.
6. What should a prison doctor do when placed in a situation of dual or divided loyalties?
Do what their authorities want and force-feed if they are told to.
Make their own set of ethics.
The doctor should be able to appeal to a higher medical authority if they receive orders from their employers to go against the basic principles of medical ethics.
Trick the hunger strikers by giving them false medical advice to scare them to end the hunger strike.
When does death occur when some one is on total hunger strike?
Between 35- 42 days
Between 45- 75 days
After 80 days
8. When local doctors, either inside or outside prison, cannot establish the necessary trust with the fasting prisoner, who can be contacted to come and give appropriate medical attention and help solve the conflict?
UN United nations
ICRC International Committee of the Red Cross
CTP Committee for Prevention of Torture and Inhuman degrading treatment and Punishment